White Wine Red Diamond Chardonnay 2016. Situated close to the dramatic Columbia River gorge in Washington State, the Red Diamond winery has rapidly made a name for themselves despite only being founded in 2003. Since the release of their very popular first wine, a single varietal Merlot, the winery have focused on producing bold, fruit-forward expressions of classic grape varieties in Washington State, California and even Argentina. Their delicious Chardonnay is made with grapes sourced from the eastern part of Washington State where the arid climate, long ripening period and abundant sunshine produces top quality Chardonnay. This powerful wine opens with rich aromas of pineapple, mango and red apple, while on the palate there is a lusciously creamy texture and distinctive hints of vanilla and sweet spices from the oak ageing. To add this extra complexity and rounded mouthfeel, Red Diamond ferment and age 60% of the wine in oak barrels while the remaining 40% is vinified in stainless steel tanks. Thanks to the generous full-bodied character of this Chardonnay, it’s the ideal partner for pasta or chicken served with creamy sauces, pan-fried scallops or even lobster. Other exquisite matches could include mushroom dishes, grilled pork chops or poultry served with tropical fruit salsas.
White Wine Red Diamond Chardonnay 2016
White Wine Domaine Fournier Pouilly Fume Grande Cuvee 2016. The Fournier family have been making wine since the 1800s and today their domaine is considered one of the finest in the Sancerre appellation. In total they control 222 acres of vines including prime plots in Maimbray, Verdigny and Bue which rank amongst Sancerre’s top terroirs. All of their vineyards are farmed organically, yields are kept low, and the grapes are all harvested by hand to ensure quality. Once in the winery they use cutting-edge technology including use of gravity to release the juice from the grapes and careful temperature regulation of the tanks during fermentation. This helps to preserve freshness and elegance in the wines, creating some of the purest Sauvignon Blancs in all of Sancerre. The domaine’s Grand Cuvee is a superb expression of this style crafted from 45 year old vines planted on flint and clay soils. Before bottling the wine is matured on the fine lees and a fifth of the wine is fermented in the barrel which adds extra body and complexity. The result is a creamy yet crisp and elegant white wine which exudes delicate hints of citrus, stone fruit and honey. A fantastic aperitif or partner for salads, seafood and sushi.
White Wine Domaine Michelot Meursault Les Narvaux 2016. Owned by the Michelot family for six generations, Domaine Michelot is currently run by young winemaker Nicholas Mefre who took over from his father aged just 23 in 2009. The domaine is traditional in its approach, but in recent years Nicholas has begun experimenting with vinifying a small amount of fruit from prized crus in concrete eggs. Oak influence is kept minimal overall, with just 20% new oak used for the remaining parcels aged in barrels. This stunning Meursault comes from the Les Narvaux lieu-dit” or named vineyard area. The plot is located on a slope at 300 metres of altitude above the famous Genevrières premier cru vineyards. This helps to give it a distinctive elegance and freshness, with extra depth and complexity from vinification in a combination of large casks and smaller barriques. Enchanting hints of almond blossom, ripe peach and toasted almonds dominate on the nose, while the first sip reveals a brilliant acidity, well-rounded texture, and a solid core of orchard fruit flavours which linger on the tongue. The finish is refined and graceful, with hints of zingy lemon and mouthwatering freshness that acts as a great palate cleanser. Cellar for a few more years or enjoy now with roast chicken, salmon, or creamy pasta dishes.